What is Orientation and Mobility (O&M)?
Orientation and Mobility (O&M) refers to the skills and techniques required for independent movement for people who are blind or have low vision, including deafblindness.
Simply put, O&M can be described as knowing where you are, where you are going and how you are going to get there safely.
Orientation is the ability to establish and maintain an awareness of your environment. Mobility refers to the act of moving through your environment in a safe and efficient manner.
When the two are integrated, the result is purposeful and directed movement.
How can an Orientation and Mobility Specialist assist me?
Your Orientation and Mobility Specialist will conduct an individual assessment based on your current needs to maximise your independence and safety.Our comprehensive approach to orientation and mobility focuses on enhancing your independence, confidence and safety in your everyday life.
Whether you require assistance with spatial awareness, environmental navigation, or orientation to new surroundings, our team is equipped with the knowledge and experience to help you overcome obstacles and achieve your goals. We will create a personalised plan just for you, utilising innovative techniques and assistive technologies to ensure you develop the necessary skills to navigate your environment confidently and safely.
Our specialists will help you to:
- learn new O&M skills;
- maintain your existing O&M skills;
- build confidence, motivation and self esteem;
- identify appropriate assistive technology;
- advocate for improved community access;
- work in collaboration with your other therapists or specialists; and
- work with your family and friends to help you feel more supported in your home, at school and in the community.
Who can access an Orientation and Mobility Specialist?
People who are blind or have low vision, including deafblindness.
All ages including early childhood, school aged children, teenagers, adults and older adults.
Why choose a SensesWA Orientation and Mobility Specialist?
We understand that navigating the world can present a unique set of challenges for people with visual or hearing impairments, and our highly trained professionals are here to assist and empower you. Our team will help you by:
- providing you with expert advice;
- being flexible to your needs;
- providinge unique training facilities both indoor and outdoors;
- being observant, patient and reliable; and
- having a holistic therapy approach.
We want to help you live a happy and fulfilling life. Get in touch today and find out more about how Senses WA can help you.