CHILDREN AGED 0 to 6 YEARS
SensesWA provides high quality evidenced based Early Childhood Early Intervention (ECEI) therapy services for children and families. We work in partnership with you to support and enhance your child’s participation and development potential. We deliver best practice therapy supports endorsed by the National Disability Insurance Agency.
What our services look like:
- We work with you to develop a shared vision of your child, their interests, strengths and areas to develop.
- Specialist therapists promote your child’s development and learning
- We support your child’s development and participation in their natural environments at home, at school and in their local community
- Key Worker approach available
The ECEI Team:
Depending on your goals for your child, your dedicated therapy team will be made up of a range of allied health professionals to work in partnership with you:
- Occupational Therapists
- Speech Pathologists
- Social Workers
- Deafblind Consultants
- Orientation & Mobility Specialists
- Therapy Assistants
Our Therapy Services support you and your child with:
- Everyday routines and activities – developing independence with toileting, bathing, dressing, sleeping, brushing teeth and hair.
- Successful mealtimes – eating, drinking and mealtime participation.
- Fine motor skills – using hands and fingers for everyday tasks like drawing, handwriting, cutting, using a spoon and play.
- Gross motor skills – sitting, crawling, walking, running, going up stairs, using the playground and playing sports.
- Communication skills – learning to talk and express wants and needs, thoughts and feelings and understanding others.
- Thinking and learning skills – playing, paying attention, exploring, remembering, understanding and problem solving.
- Social and emotional skills – relating to others in a positive way, managing emotions and learning independence.
In addition to extensive knowledge and experience of supporting the development of children with disability, some specific skills we have within our team include:
- Hanen – learn practical and powerful strategies to communicate and interact with your child during everyday routines and activities.
- Specialist mealtime and feeding supports including Sequential Oral Sensory Approach to Feeding (SOS) – a program to support children with feeding difficulties.
- Specialist Sensory Services – for children with hearing and/or vision loss.
- Specialised equipment – customised solutions for the needs of your child.
- Specialist communication solutions – this includes high tech such as speech generation devices and low tech such as Key Word Signing and communication books.
- Workshop and Support Groups – such as school readiness, hydrotherapy and cooking groups. www.senses.org.au/workshops-support-groups/
HOW DO I ACCESS DISABILITY SERVICES FOR MY CHILD?
Early Childhood Early Intervention Services can be accessed through:
- The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) funding
- Paying a fee for the service
- Medicare rebate for Allied Health Services through a referral from your GP
- Better Start funding (Until full roll out of NDIS)
- Helping Children with Autism (Until full roll out of NDIS)
WOULD YOU LIKE MORE INFORMATION?