Our team at SensesWA works in partnership with individuals who are deafblind, as well as with their families and carers, in order to enhance independence and community inclusion.
Deafblindness is described as a unique and isolating sensory disability resulting from a combination of being both hearing impaired and vision impaired, which significantly affects communication, socialisation, mobility and daily living.
We will meet with you to talk about your goals and what you would like to be able to do and then work with you to plan how you can achieve your goals.
Our team is made up of Deafblind Consultants with skills in social work, orientation and mobility instruction, physiotherapy and occupational therapy and all have significant training and experience in working with individuals who are deafblind.
We can help you to achieve your goals with support across:
- Communication Skills – teaches people to communicate using fingerspelling, braille or other methods.
- Orientation and Mobility – provides training for people who are deafblind to navigate around their home and local community using sighted guide and a cane.
- Dual Sensory Loss/Usher Syndrome Support Group – provides support to people with Deafblindness and their family through regular meetings which deliver information, education and recreation activities.
- Assistive Technology – assesses and prescribes a range of communication and daily living devices for people who are deafblind.
- Deafblind Awareness Training – provided for family, support workers, allied health and teaching staff to develop an understanding and skills to interact effectively with an individual who is deafblind.
- Communication Guide Training – provided for family, support workers, allied health and teaching staff to develop advanced skills to communication, guide and support an individual who is deafblind.
- Information Service – Senses Australia hosts a unique website called Deafblind Information designed specifically for people with deafblindness or with an interest in deafblindness. To access this website click here.
All other services SensesWA a offer are available for individuals who are vision impaired or hearing impaired.
WOULD YOU LIKE MORE INFORMATION?
Contact us with any queries you may have regarding our deafblind support services today.